Here is a root beer cupcake that actually tastes like root beer. I found the recipe on the Cupcake Project. She got the cupcake recipe from a site called Bittersweet. Now the cupcake project made a frosting with cream soda extract in it. She had to order the extract online. I wasn’t wanting to wait for extract and order it online, so I went with the frosting that was used by Bittersweet to top the cupcakes. I must tell you, I DIDN’T like the frosting I used for this cupcake. It did absolutely no favors for this cupcake. I think the cupcake would have taste much better with the frosting that goes with the root beer cookies I have on here. That is the way I will make them next time. The cupcake has a nice texture. Now don’t be alarmed when you mix this batter together, it is very runny. You can pour the batter into you cupcake tins because it is that runny. I think I may also up the root beer extract up to 1 Tbsp next time, but I think I’ll try it with the root beer frosting first. That may add enough root beer flavor.
Root Beer Cupcakes
1 C root beer soda
1 t apple cider vinegar
3/4 C sugar
1/3 C canola oil
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 t root beer extract(also known as root beet concentrate)
1 1/3 C flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
Pinch of Salt
- Combine the soda and vinegar and let stand for a few minutes.
- Add in the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously until slightly frothy.
- Integrate your extracts, and gently introduce the flour, along with the baking powder / soda, and salt, being careful not to over mix. (I just used a whisk to quickly mix the batter and get rid of any flour lumps. Don’t be alarmed by how runny the batter is. I was able to pour it into the muffin tins. It is the consistency of thin pancake batter)
- Fill cupcake liners approximately 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Bake at 350 F for about 18 – 22 minutes. makes 12 cupcakes
I made the frosting from Bittersweet’s site, but did not like it. It didn’t compliment the cupcake. I think the frosting found with my root beer cookies would have been perfect.