This is the last of the 4 recipes I tried from Food on the Table for their “Food on the Table Challenge”. To read my review visit this post. Next to the Penne with Chicken and Pesto, this was my next favorite of the 4 recipes.
This is simple to put together and delicious. It was kind of like a fajita pizza. The recipe called for 6 chicken breasts. I only use 3 because the chicken breasts I had were large. I also sliced my French bread into thicker slices which was good because the mixture you place on top is pretty hefty. I also managed to get 10 servings out of this rather than the 8 that the recipe said. I have made my changes to the recipe below.
This is a great meal that is ready in 20 minutes. The spice level was also perfect for my family. However, you can spice it up by the type of taco seasoning, tomato juice, and salsa that you use.
Chicken Fajita Melts
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 (6.0 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup salsa
- 10 (1 inch thick) slices French bread
- 2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced onions and red peppers, and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomato juice and taco seasoning, and mix well. Cook mixture until the juice has thickened and the chicken is well coated with sauce, about an additional 7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.Spread 2 tablespoons of salsa over each slice of French bread. Evenly spoon the chicken mixture on top of the salsa topped bread. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Place sandwiches under the preheated broiler on the middle rack and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.