I have been on the look out for some more zucchini recipes. My garden is still giving me lots of zucchini. I found several fun muffin recipes to try out and this happens to be one of them. I found it over at Multiply Delicious who adapted it from King Arthur’s Flour. I made my own slight adaptations too. This makes a small batch of muffins – 6 regular or 20 mini. I made the mini’s which worked out perfectly to fill my Demarle Mini Muffin tray. If you want more just double, triple or quadruple the recipe.
These muffins are fabulous, nice and moist. You also get a nice warm spice flavor from the cinnamon and nutmeg. I must say that I do like these muffins best when they are warm from the oven with a little Canola Harvest (or you could do butter) spread on them. I love the combination of the zucchini and carrot together.
Make sure to stop by next week for breakfast week. We will be talking all week long about recipes to serve for breakfast or dinner. I love to make breakfast for dinner. A few of them would also work great as a snack or even a dessert too.
I also have a giveaway for you today. Did you know that Sunday September 19 is “International Talk Like A Pirate Day”? Arrrr, it is. To celebrate I am giving away a great treasure chest full of Pirates Booty.
If you haven’t heard of Pirates Booty – it’s a baked, all-natural snack that is made from puffed rice and corn. It is gluten, trans-fat and tree nut free. Plus, the snack is only 130 calories for a one ounce bag. Pirate’s Booty is available in a variety of flavors including Aged White Cheddar, Veggie, Sour Cream & Onion, New York Pizza, Barbeque and Sea Salt & Vinegar. Pirate Brands has provided 3 chests full of Pirate’s Booty to give away. To enter, just leave a comment saying which flavor of Pirate’s Booty you would like to try. You have until Tuesday September 21 at 10 pm (MST) to enter.
Zucchini Carrot Muffins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup pecan gems
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 6 cups of a standard muffin tin (or 20 mini-muffin cups) with papers, or grease each cup.(I used my Demarle Mini Muffin pan so I didn’t have to grease or line!)
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, salt, and egg.
- Add the zucchini, carrots, and pecans.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the batter. Stir till just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Let the muffins rest for 10 minutes before placing them into the oven.
- Bake the muffins until the edges are lightly browned and they feel firm if gently pressed, about 18 to 25 minutes for the regular sized muffins (for me it was 10 minutes for the minis). A cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and cool them in the pan for 10 minutes; transfer to a rack, and cool. (I like to eat them warm)