Today’s recipe is one that I got from someone in my neighborhood before I got married. I have been making this now for over 16 years. It is a family favorite and is one of those simple recipes for those busy nights. It calls for 6 ingredients plus the cooked rice that you serve it over. It is also an excellent way to use up leftover chicken. This is good creamy comfort food! I have altered the recipe slightly over the years. I cut down on the butter along with the poppy seeds. The original was just a bit much for our tastes.
Poppy Seed Chicken
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream (I use light)
- 1 cellophane sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
- 4 Tbsp. melted butted
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- In a bowl, mix together soup and sour cream until well blended. Stir in diced chicken.
- Spread creamy mixture into a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a large zipper bag, crush crackers. Then add poppy seeds and butter to bag and seal. Toss to coast.
- Sprinkle cracker mixture over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice. Makes 4-6 servings.