Zucchini is still coming out of my garden. I found this yummy marinated salad over at Kalyn’s Kitchen. The combination of zucchini along with Italian dressing, olives and marinated artichokes was one I couldn’t pass up. This salad is easy but you do need to plan ahead due to the 4-8 hours of marinating time. For me, I say the longer the better. I must say I love artichokes. So YUMMY! This salad was delish!
Marinated Zucchini Salad
- 4-5 small zucchini, cut into half moon slices about 1/2 inch thick (or bite sized pieces)
- 1 can large pitted black olives, drained very well
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained very well
- 1 red pepper chopped into bite-sized piece (I used some red and some green because I had that on hand)
- 1 red onion chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Italian dressing ( I recommend getting one with a nice strong flavor)
- juice of half lemon (2 T)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano cheese
- 1 T dried basil (or use 2 T basil pesto or 3 T. chopped fresh basil)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
Optional: additional 1/4 cup grated parmesan to sprinkle over salad just before serving
- Cut zucchini into quarter slices or bite sized pieces. (If you’re using large zucchini, cut away the seeds and most of the white part.)
- Steam zucchini until barely tender/crisp, about 3 minutes, then drain very well. (You can plunge the steamed zucchini into water with ice cubes to stop the cooking if you’re in a hurry)
- While zucchini is cooking, open olives and artichoke hearts and dump into a colander to drain well. (Draining the zucchini and olives well is essential or the finished salad will be watery.)
- Chop the red bell pepper and red onion into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine zucchini, olives, artichoke hearts, red pepper and red onion in plastic or glass container with a lid (or use a Ziploc bag.)
- Pour dressing over, just enough to cover veggies, and stir gently. (use part of the dressing to marinate the veggies and then stir in a little more dressing when I serve it.)
- Marinate in refrigerator 4-8 hours. Turn it over once in a while to keep the vegetables covered with dressing. Just before serving stir in a little of the reserved dressing. Sprinkle the salad with more freshly grated Parmesan cheese when serving if desired.