I must say I am a big chicken salad fan.I especially love it when it has fruit and nuts in it. Now most of the time, when I have had chicken salad it has apples, grapes, or craisins in it but never strawberries. So when I saw this new Betty Crocker recipe in the It’s Summer issue that included strawberries in it, I had to try this combination. I did made some changes to the recipe. I must say that I really love this recipe. I really love the strawberries in it. It is a great combination with the poppyseed dressing. You also process the chicken in the food processor to get fine minced kind of texture too. I really LOVE this salad. All the flavors in this recipe work so well together.
Now even though these are a wrap, they also work well on dinner rolls. I got some small dinner rolls from Costco and also serve the salad on that, but then I placed sliced strawberries on them instead of the diced strawberries. They would be perfect for a luncheon.
Chicken Salad Wraps with Strawberries
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (I also have used turkey)
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 -1/2 cup chopped walnuts (depending on how nutty you want it)
- 1 cup creamy poppy seed dressing (I use Briannas and it uses 2/3 of the bottle)
- 1 (8-ounce container) cup cream cheese spread (I use the reduced fat)
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inches in diameter)
- Baby lettuce ( I used some Artisan lettuce that I found at Costco that we like baby heads of lettuce)
- 1 1/2 -2 cups finely chopped strawberries (for me the more strawberries the better)
- Mix chicken, onions and walnuts in food processor bowl. Cover and process by using quick on-and-off motions until finely chopped. Add 1/3 cup of the poppy seed dressing; process only until mixed.
- Mix remaining dressing and the cream cheese spread in small bowl with spoon until smooth. Add chicken mixture and combine until well mixed,
- Spread chicken mixture evenly over the surface of tortillas leaving top 1 inches of tortillas uncovered.
- Press lettuce on top of chicken mixture . Sprinkle strawberries over chicken.
- Firmly roll up tortillas, beginning at bottom rolling toward the 1 inch tortilla that is uncovered. As you roll some of the chicken mixture will squish toward the uncovered part of the tortilla, eventually covering it with the salad mixture to help seal the tortilla roll.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Cut Each roll in half on a diagonal.
Note: This chicken mixture also works great on rolls. Just slice the strawberries instead on dicing them and place on top of the chicken mixture on the rolls.