I absolutely love this time of year. It is the time of year when I get to enjoy yellow summer squash and zucchini. These two types of squash are actually the only kind of squash I like. I don’t care for the texture of all the other ones. Too mushy for me. However, i am in heaven with zucchini and yellow squash. I found this recipe at $5 dinners that steams the squash a little before you saute it. It is also cooked in olive oil with a little sugar which is different than the usual butter that I do, plus it’s better for you. I love this way of cooking the squash. It was light and delicious with a hint of sweetness.
I have a good selection of zucchini/yellow squash recipes on my site since each summer I am trying to keep up with my one zucchini plant. However, I have listed my absolute- must-make-favorite recipes below for you.
Steam Sauteed Summer Squash
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced (zucchini would work too)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the sliced squash into a skillet with the water, sugar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cover the squash for about 2-3 minutes, allowing the steam to begin cooking the squash.
3. Uncover the squash and stir with wooden spoon. Let the remaining water boil off and then saute the partially cooked squash for 3-4 minutes…or until begins to brown.
4. Once a few of the squash slices begin to brown, saute another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Serve warm as side dish.
Makes 6-8 side dish portions.