Here is another yummy way to use up those brown bananas. I found this recipe over at Erin’s Food Files. She adapted it from one she found in the NY Times. She used cinnamon chips in her recipe but the NY Times version used chocolate chips. I went for the chocolate chip version. She also called the recipe blondie bars. I took blondie out of the title because it’s definitely not “blondie like” which I was hoping for. It’s really more on the cake side. Even though it wasn’t more blondie like in texture as I hoped it was still delicious. You can’t loose with the combination of bananas and chocolate!
Banana Chocolate Chip Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup banana puree
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or 1/2 cup white & 1/2 cup whole wheat; I just used white all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or you can use cinnamon chips)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a nine-inch-square baking pan.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat in egg. Stir in banana puree & vanilla. In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to wet until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares. (Since it is more cake like make sure to let them cool all the way so you don’t end up with a gooey mess)