This will be the last sweet treat I post for Valentine’s. Sugar cookies tend to be a Valentine traditional for a lot of people. If you want sugar cookies for Valentine’s, but don’t want all of the work, this could be your answer, Sugar Cookie Bars.
This recipe comes from Annemarie at Taste Buds. Annemarie and I like a lot of the same things when it comes to cooking. We both recently posted the same recipe one day. So thanks Annemarie, this recipe is a keeper.
This sugar cookie is spread out into a baking sheet to cook, no rolling and cutting here. Then topped with a yummy, sweet frosting and you cut the cookies into bars. At this point you could still have fun and top them off with sprinkles, chocolate hearts etc. Don’t miss out on sugar cookies for this Valentine’s, whip up these sugar cookie bars.
- 1 cup butter; room temp.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp soda
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.
- ½ cup butter; room temp
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk
- food coloring (if desired)
- For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt.
- Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency.
- Spread over cooled cookies.