Why not end your 4th of July celebration with a cake that looks like an American Flag? It would ad to the patriotic theme of the day. Lucky Leaf , a company that makes easy to use dessert products including pie filling. They sent me their apple, cherry, and blueberry pie filling along with a couple of recipes. One was for an Angel Food Patriotic Delight and the other was their American Flag Cake. I decided to try out the flag cake with a few minor adaptations. The cake was simple and easy to make but looks impressive. Plus you can’t really loose with the combination of cake, whipped cream, and fruit.
The cake does not use up all of the pie filling so, you could use the extra to make a small version of the Angel Food Patriotic Delight to go along with the cake. Or you could you the pie filling to make these yummy Fruit Pancake Roll Ups for breakfast the next day.
If pie filling isn’t your thing you can still follow the recipe but use fresh fruit in place of the pie filling. I found two great examples of this. One was at The Food Network and the other was at Betty Crocker. Then if you want to go for cake but want them in cupcake form you can try out the Patriotic Cupcakes I made last year or add some blueberries to my Cupcake Shortcakes for a patriotic twist. I also found some cute ways to decorate the cupcakes at The Girl Who Ate Everything, Martha Stewart, and Divine Dinner Party.
American Flag Cake
- 1 prepared 9 x 13 inch golden vanilla cake
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 heaping Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 (21 oz.) can of LUCKY LEAF Apple Pie Filling
- 1 (21 oz.) can of LUCKY LEAF Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 (21 oz.) can of LUCKY LEAF Blueberry Pie Filling
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat whipping cream with powdered sugar and vailla until thick and fluffy.
- Place cake on a flatter and frost with 3/4 or the whipped cream.
- In the upper left-hand corner of the cake, use ½ can LUCKY LEAF Blueberry Pie Filling to create the square field for the stars.
- Starting with the LUCKY LEAF Cherry Pie Filling at the top edge of the cake, form alternating stripes of the flag using LUCKY LEAF Cherry Pie Filling and LUCKY LEAF Apple Pie Filling. DON”T get too close to the edge with the fruit or it may drip off the cake.
- Use remaining whipped cream to create stars in the blue field and border around the cake using a decorating bag with a star tip. Refrigerate. Makes 12 servings