Why not enjoy that refreshing Summer flavor – lemon - but in cookie form? I saw this recipe in my newspaper last week. Lesli Neilson was on a mission to duplicate Paradise Bakery and Cafe’s Lemon Zester Cookies and this is the recipe she came up with. Now I have only Been to Paradise Bakery twice, but absolutely love it. I also have never tried their lemon cookie but I know how fabulous the chocolate chips cookies are. So I figure the lemon cookie must be equally as good. Not sure how this version compares but it was delicious. It’s kind of like a lemon bar without that lemon curd type layer.
The cookie is also made from simple ingredients. We are talking butter, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, baking powder, and flour. The zest is what really makes the lemon flavor pop in this cookie. These cookies turn out soft and you finish them off with a light dusting of powdered sugar, just like lemon bars. You could even top them with a drizzle of lemon glaze if you prefer. Yummy. Tastes like summer. You could even make a lime or orange version just by changing the juice and zest. These would also be perfect cookies to make a lemon whoopie pie with. You could fill them with lemon cream cheese filling. Oh yum! I love these cookies, the possibilities are endless with what you could do with them.
Also, here are the Jamba winners:
- Julianne who said, “What a great idea! I love smoothies, too. My favorite would be probably be the ‘Berries Wild.’ Although, they all sound delicious.”
- Becky who said, “I love Jamba Juice! I would love to try the Razzmatazz.”
- Stefanie B. who said, “The Mango-a-go-go would be my choice to try! Love mango smoothies!”
- Julie who said, “Love jamba juice and would love to try strawberry wild!”
- Leisa who said, “Definitely Mango…so refreshing!”
- Deni who said, “Razzmatazz! :0)”
- Patty who said, “Wow………..I would have to try the Strawberry Wild first,then the Mango-a-go-go.”
- Lisa M who said, “I LOVE Mango! I would try the mango-a-go-go”
Congrats to you all and watch for the email from me!
Zesty Lemon Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add eggs, one at a time, until blended. Add lemon juice and zest, mixing until blended.
- Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until blended.
- Drop by rounded scoopfuls onto prepared baking sheets and bake until edges are firm with no color, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar. Servings » Makes 2 1/2 dozen (I used my cookie scoop and got 3 dozen cookies)