I saw a recipe for baked beans that included diced apples in the recipe. It sounded interesting to me. I have had baked beans with pineapple in them but never apple. This is a recipe that I developed to make some easy baked beans involving the apple. They are the perfect accompaniment to any barbecue meal and I am sure Dad would love them as part of his Father’s Day meal. The apple adds a nice flavor and new texture to the beans.
Easy Apple Baked Beans
- 2 can (15.5 ounces each) pork and beans or canned baked beans
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until beans reach desired thickness. I like my beans thick so I cook them for the 40 minutes. They will thicken a little more as they cool. Yield: 6 servings.