Ham and pineapple are one of those classic combinations. That savory with the sweet pair so well together.
It’s great on pizza but it’s also great in a sandwich. This recipe takes those two flavors and puts them other in the slow cooker making a simple tasty sandwich.
- 2 (20 oz) cans unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 lbs thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- 10 kaiser rolls, split
- Combine the pineapple, onion, brown sugar, and mustard. Put half of the mixture in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with half of the ham. Repeat layers.
- Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours.
- Remove ham from slow cooker with tongs, leaving pineapple mixture behind; keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in pineapple mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve ham, pineapple mixture and cheese on rolls. Serves 10.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.