Kids are infamous for having some favorite standard foods like chicken nuggets and grilled cheese. That’s why most restaurants carry those standard foods on their kids menu.
Well, today I have a recipe that combines two of those kids favorite meals – hot dogs and grilled cheese. The hot dog bun actually gets used backward. The inside of the bun becomes the outside of the bun and is buttered and grilled with cheese on what is usually the outside of the bun. Does this make sense?
Then the hot dog gets placed inside that grilled cheese backwards bun. You can cook your hot dogs at which ever method you prefer but for me, grilling is the only way. You can add toppings or you can dip your dog, dipping seemed to work better. Or you can eat it just as it is. For me this was the way to go. Dipping my dog in ketchup seemed to hide the great flavor of the grilled cheese portion of this recipe. However, I am more than sure the kids will probably go for it dipped in ketchup.
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 hot dogs
- 3 cups shredded mixture of monterey jack and cheddar cheeses
- ½ cup softened butter
- ketchup and mustard, if desired
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Open each hot dog bun and roll flat with a rolling pin. Spread the inside of each bun with 1 Tbsp butter. Place it on the skillet, butter side down, and sprinkle top evenly with about ⅓ cup shredded cheese.
- In the meantime, cook the hot dogs as desired. I like them cooked on my grill or slice each hot dog lengthwise to where it's still connected, but will lay flat on a skillet. Cook flat side down in the skillet for 2 minutes on the flat side or until it starts to brown then flip and cook the other minute on the other side. Transfer the hot dog to one side of the bun.
- Close bun over hot dog and serve with ketchup and mustard if desired for dipping.
Recipe adapted from The Baker Mama.