You really can make just about anything into a rice bowl. After I convert a favorite salad of mine into a bbq chicken rice bowl, I decided to make a Mexican version.
With this version I used cilantro lime rice as the base and for the meat used I my go to way for making taco meat which includes beans. You can always mix up the toppings used in your bowl, but we loved the combination the I used.
It was another great hit for dinner with the family and I am sure it will be a frequent meal that the family requests for dinner now.
- Cilantro lime rice:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1¼ cup rice
- 2¼ cups chicken broth
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- Taco meat:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can chili beans in mild sauce
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- diced green onion
- corn chips
- Add butter and rice to a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted and rice is turning golden brown.
- Add in the remaining ingredients for the rice and stir to combine. Bring to a boil hen reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
- In a skillet, brown the beef until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease. Then add in the chili beans and taco seasoning. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- To assemble the bowls, add in some rice followed by some taco meat. Then top with the desired toppings. Serves 4-6.