Seasonal flavor makes an appearance at the breakfast table today – gingerbread for breakfast in waffle form.
These would be prefect to serve on Christmas morning or any other morning you just when you want to be in the holiday spirit. They include ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and molasses. The warmth of these spices will warm you on a cold wintery day.
- 1½ cups milk
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and molasses, whisk to combine. Add in milk mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in two additions, whisking just until combined each time.Preheat waffle iron and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook accordingly to waffle manufacturers instructions.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar. Makes about 8 waffles depending on waffle maker.
Recipe adapted from White Lights on Wednesday.