I already thought buttermilk syrup was pretty amazing. However, spiced buttermilk syrup is even better.
This syrup is spiced with pumpkin pie spice but you can easily swap it out for apple pie spice, depending on what type of spice you are looking for.
Buttermilk syrup has almost a caramel like quality with it and it just gets complimented so well with those warm fall spices.
It was particularly tasty on the pumpkin chocolate chip waffle recipe I shared yesterday, but would be great on just about anything you want to put it on!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (or apple pie spice)
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- In a saucepan, add the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 4 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. Be careful because the baking soda will cause the mixture to bubble up. Stir until combined.
- Allow to cool to warm and serve over french toast, waffles, or pancakes.
Recipe adapted from Real Life Dinner.