This week is my annual lemon week. I really do love the flavor of lemon and everyone should have a lemon bar recipe in their collection.
This lemon bar recipes is one I got from a good friend of mine. She made them one time and I fell in love the moment I had one. They look fancy but really are simple to make!
The bottom is a nice buttery shortbread like crust followed by a luscious creamy lemony layer that creates a ever so lightly crispy crust like layer on top as it bakes.
Of course, it all must be finished off with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. These would be awesome to make for mom for Mother’s Day too! I’m telling you this is THE LEMON BAR RECIPE to make.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- additional powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour with the ½ cup powdered sugar. Then cut in the 1 cup of butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, add the eggs 2 cups of sugar, and lemon juice to a bowl and beat together. Then whisk in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Pour mixture over crust after it has baked for 20 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Allow bars to fully cool, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar to serve. Makes 20 bars.