Baked egg and potato dishes are a breakfast classic. However, there are so many variations. I have quite a few on my site. Well today I have one with a Mexican flair. It’s a cross between huevos rancheros and the classic baked potato and egg bake.
This recipe uses tater tots and the eggs get an addition of spices including oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Then it gets a sprinkling of Mexican cheese over the whole dish.
To serve, it gets topped with salsa and sour cream! Delish! Add a little chopped cilantro too if you like.
- 1 (32 oz) pkg. frozen tater tots
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ tsp crushed oregano
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- toppings to serve: salsa, sour cream, and chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the tater tots evenly in the dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle cheese over the dish and place back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and top each with salsa, sour cream, and chopped cilantro. Serves 12.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.