This is a definite unique item to serve at a tea party! Have you ever had caramelized tomatoes before? They are delish!
The first time I tasted this recipe, I thought it was tomato jam. When I served it at my tea party, people said it tasted like strawberries! It is definitely a surprise to the taste buds and is so easy to make.
You can serve them warm or cold. I opted to serve them cold at my tea party.
- 4-5 large tomatoes (I use 8 roma tomatoes)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 long baguette loaf, cut into slices
- 1 (8 oz) container of spreadable light cream cheese
- Slice the tomatoes, removing most of the juice and seeds.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the sugar and butter. Heat over medium heat while stirring until the mixture reaches a low boil.
- Add in to tomato slices and arrange in a single layer.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Then add in the salt and pepper and simmer just a little longer until tomatoes are soft and the mixture has thickened. Set aside.
- Spread some cream cheese over each baguette slice and top with some of the tomato mixture. Serve as is or place on a baking sheet and broil until the cream cheese is soft and golden. Makes about 24 servings.
Recipe adapted from Deals to Meals.