Today I am going to share with you my version of key lime pie. If you have never made key lime pie before it is quite simple, especially with my version. There are 4 key elements to making this pie graham cracker crust, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice. Those can be found in most recipes for the key lime pie. There really is no excuse with this recipe. ANYONE can make this key lime pie recipe. I really feel it is foolproof.
Now the additional ingredients are what can change it up. I like to ad lime zest and top my pie with real whipped cream. I am a big fan of real whipped cream and love it on almost all pies. Some people top it with meringue or a sour cream topping or nothing at all. I love the addition of the sweet whipped cream to the tart and tangy lime pie. Now for picture purposes, I only use a little whipped cream so you could see the beautiful lime portion of the pie. However, when I eat it, the whole slice is covered with cream. YUM! This pie is also best if you can give it 12 hours to chill, so it is great when you want to make a dessert ahead of time.
Easy Key Lime Pie
- 1 – 9 inch prepared graham cracker shell
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- Zest from 1 lime (I just use regular a lime)
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (I use Nellie and Joe’s bottled juice but you can juice your own limes or key limes or use regular bottled lime juice)
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 2 heaping tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Whisk until well combined. Whisk in lime juice.
- Allow filling to sit while you zest the lime. Add lime zest and whisk just until combined.
- Pour the lime filling into the pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 1 hour.
- The filling will become set as it cools. When cool, place the pie in the refrigerator. Chill for at least one hour before serving, but it is best if you can chill it for 12 hours.
- Combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium sized mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Pipe or spread whipping cream over pie and serve. Makes 8 servings.