The winner for yesterday’s giveaway is Carolyn who said: “I LOVE ALL of your recipes and have tried many of them. You are a GREAT cook! Thanks for sharing.” Hope you have fun with the animal pancake pan and free butter Carolyn!
I know I shared my quick and easy banana cream pie just a little bit ago. Guess what? Right after I made my pie I saw this similar version over at Our Best Bites. I had to try it and see if it was as good or better than my version. The thing that made me wonder how this pie would taste is that you add water and condensed milk to the instant pudding. I know, that’s what I said. So I adapted the recipe slightly from the original. I asked my family what they thought. Did they have a preference? My husband like both just the same. My oldest son said he like the filling on this pie. If I had to choose I would pick this pie. First I like that it makes 2 pies so I made one regular and one chunky monkey. Everyone did prefer the original banana over the chunky monkey version. And for me this pie was more like a true banana cream pie. The other version I shared is more mousse-like with the filling since it uses pudding folded with cool whip. So give this version a try.
Today’s giveaway is courtesy of CSN Stores who has number of sites that they operate. One being cookware.com where the item today comes from. It is a lovely Rachel Ray “Bubble & Brown” 4.25 qt. stoneware oval casserole in orange. I wish I could have one for myself! I mean 4.25 quarts will fit a lot of stuff!
If you want to check out the CSN Stores they offer a variety of products from kids bedding, cookware, to modern furniture. It would be a great place for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day shopping. To enter, tell me what pie you would like in the comment section. You have until tonight 10 pm (MST) to enter.
Banana Cream Pie II
- 1 4-serving size box of instant chocolate or vanilla pudding (I did vanilla)
- 1 c. cold water
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 prepared pie crusts (You choose–regular, graham cracker, Nilla Wafer, shortbread, even Oreo. I used regular -Marie Callendar’s frozen crust- for the banana and oreo for the chunky monkey)
- 6 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- dash of vanilla
- In a large bowl combine the pudding, water, and condensed milk. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes; place in fridge to chill for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, whip 1 c. of whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Remove pudding mixture from fridge. Add whipped cream to the pudding and gently fold in.
- Spoon a little of the pudding mixture into each pie crust, just enough to coat the bottom of the pie crust. Layer each cust with banana slices and top each pie with remaining pudding mixture.
- Whip remaining 1 cup cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until thick and fluffy. Spread on top of pie. Garnish with additional banana slices if desired. Refrigerate several hours before serving.
Chunky Monkey Pie Version
Blend 1/2 c creamy peanut butter into the pudding/water/sweetened condensed milk in step 1 above. (I used an oreo crust. and divided the pudding/water/milk mixture. Then blended 1/4 cup peanut butter into one of the pudding mixtures before putting in the fridge. Thus allowing one banana cream pie and one chunky monkey pie. I personally do think the peanut butter would taste better if you used chocolate pudding instead of the vanilla, but that’s just my preference)