This recipe comes from Prudence Pennywise. My family loves Mexican food and we love the recipe I have for Cafe Rio Sweet Pork. So sweet chicken sounded equally tasty. I’m also always up for a good recipe made in my slow cooker.
I have to admit, I tasted the chicken after cooking and I probably added about 1/8 of a cup addition brown sugar. I wanted a little more sweetness. I also would do the whole 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes next time, I only did the 1/4 teaspoon.
After shredding my chicken and putting it back in the juices, it didn’t absorb very much of the juice. It was still pretty soupy. So I mixed 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. I added that to the chicken and turned the crock pot up on high for 30 minutes. That seemed to do the trick. (Note: I have also just drained off the excess juice before serving) The whole family loved this chicken. I should also point out, I used a can of petite diced tomatoes that had sweet onion in it. Thanks Prudy!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coat inside of crock pot with no stick cooking spray. Place all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours, or until chicken shreds very easily with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Chicken will absorb liquid after it is shredded.) Serve in tacos.
This is the original picture from this post. The above picture was updated in August 2013.