Today’s pancake not only incorporates the light and refreshing flavor of lemon but the pancake it self is light and tender. These thin and delicate pancakes have more a a sponge like quality to them rather than the usual cake like consistency you’d expect from a traditional pancake.
Serve them up with a dusting of powdered sugar along with some strawberry slices. then finish them off with a drizzle of syrup or honey. Serve these up for mom on Mother’s Day. She will love starting her day with this light and flavorful breakfast.
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice (used from the lemon you zested)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar (I used Quick Dissolve Superfine sugar)
- pinch of salt
- butter for the skillet
- strawberry slices
- powdered sugar
- syrup or honey
- In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, yolks from the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. While whisking mix in melted butter.
- Add the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk just until combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks are form. Then fold into the batter.
- Melt a little butter in a skillet and place ⅛ cup of batter into the pan. Cook as you would a regular pancake. repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve with strawberry slices, a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of honey or syrup. makes about 12 pancakes.
Recipe adapted from @Kokken.