My family is a meat and potatoes kind of family which includes meatloaf. The only issue I have with meatloaf is the amount of time it takes to cook. I usually don’t have a hour for it to cook. A while back, I found this recipe for meat loaf patties. I gave it a try and it has been a family favorite ever since.
This is much quicker to make since you shape the meat into patties and cook them on the stove top. I must admit my favorite part of these patties is the coating of crushed saltine crackers they get before making it into the pan. Now it will be much easier for you all to make meat loaf with this quick recipe!
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups coarsely crushed saltines (about 30), divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and then add in the egg, milk, onion, chili powder, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Add in ½ cup cracker crumbs along with the beef; mix well.
- Shape into six patties, about ½ in. thick. Coat patties with remaining crumbs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook patties in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with ketchup. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Quick Cooking Magazine in 2000.