Just a bit ago, I shared a recipe for crock pot mac and cheese. It was a big hit with the family. Then, I came across another recipe that used some different ingredients and decided to give it a try. This version used sour cream and condensed cheddar cheese soup.
This version was good, but my family says they prefer the other version better. However, everyones tastes are different and I figure some of you just may love this one. I loved the look of this version. It looked like the prefect creaminess. It was just too cheesy in flavor for our tastes.
I do think I will give it a try again for my family but used a can of cream of mushroom soup in place of the cheese soup. I use cream of mushroom soup in my favorite baked macaroni and cheese. I think this would cut down on the cheesiness flavor for me. I do have one other slow cooker mac and cheese recipe if you want to check that out too. This one uses egg in the recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10¾ oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling water for 6 minutes and drain. You undercook the macaroni slightly so it doesn't get mushy after cooking in the crock pot.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cheese and cheddar cheese soup. Stir until the cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Spray your slow cooker and add your cooked macaroni along with the cheese mixture, sour cream, salt, milk, dry mustard, and pepper. Stir until well combined and coated.
- Cook on low for 2-21/2 hours until hot, stirring occasionally. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Julie’s Eats and Treats.