Lately, I have been using my slow cooker at least twice a week for meals. As a result, I have been testing and trying a lot of new recipes. Soups is one thing that is great to make in the slow cooker. It just so happens, without planning it, I have shared 3 soup recipes in a row this week. So I guess I have soup on the brain.
This soup is another nice and hearty one. It includes chunks of beef along with barley – a great grain that can make your meal more filling while also adding nutrition. Of course, there is some tasty veggies in it too.
- 1 lb. stew meat
- 2 tsp McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 4 C beef broth
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 /2 cup quick cooking barley
- Season meat with steak seasoning. Brown meat in a skillet with the olive oil.
- Place meat in slow cooker and combine with carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, beef broth, sugar, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- One hour before serving mix in barley, turn to high and cook until barley is tender.
Recipe adapted from Your Home Based Mom.