It was my birthday this weekend and I decided to save my night out for when the new Twilight movie comes out. Since we were going to be home for my birthday, I wanted to have something that I like for dinner. So, I decided to make my Aunt’s recipe for Chicken Tetrazzini with mushrooms and all. The mushrooms are big enough I figure the rest of them can just pick them out since they don’t LOVE them like me.
This is similar to a fettuccine alfredo, but you add sour cream to the sauce also. This recipe is full of calories, so it’s something I make occasionally. It is so worth the occasional spluge though. It’s heavenly!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 6 green onions chopped
- 8 oz of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2½ cups whipping cream or half and half
- 1½ cups sour cream (I do use light sour cream)
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 (12 oz) package of egg noodles, cooked according to package
- salt and pepper
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese (the stuff in the green can just won't do, ya gotta have the real stuff)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and green onion in 2 Tbsp. butter and set aside.
- Combine ¾ cup butter, flour, and whipping cream in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat. Cook until it starts to thicken then remove from the heat and mix in the sour cream plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix sauce with noodles, chicken, and mushrooms/green onion mixture.
- Put half of the noodle mixture into a 9x13 pan and top with half of the Parmesan cheese. Then top with remaining noodle mixture and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 300 for 45 minutes. Serves 8.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in February 2014.