I can’t believe that Christmas is going to be here in 23 days! It’s time to get going on that Christmas baking! Cookie week continues today on RMK with a delicious cookie bar. I decided to focus my new cookie recipes for this year on bar cookies. Bar cookies tend to take less time and less work. This one is simplified by using a cookie mix. If you want to, you could even substitute refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough to make them even easier.
I found a set of small plates in the Christmas section at Walmart to serve them on. The package was 97 cents and I think there was 12 in the package. You could always wrap each plate with cellophane for a great little gift or place setting for your holiday party.
- 1 (17.5 oz) pkg. peanut butter cookie mix prepared according to package directions
- (I used Betty Crocker)
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup Holiday M&M milk chocolate candies
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 pan with foil.
- With floured hands, press prepared cookie dough into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-19 minutes until golden and edges are firm.
- Sprinkle with Marshmallows and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until marshmallows are puffy.
- Immediately sprinkle with holiday M&M’s and allow to cool.
- Once cool, microwave chocolate chips with shortening for 20 second intervals, stirring after each one, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled bars.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Remove from pan using foil and cut into bars. Makes 2 dozen bars.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home June/July 2013 issue.