This is another recipe that comes from my mom. She has made this for as long as I can remember. The great thing about it is you can make it the night before and have it already to go in the morning. It works great for Christmas morning. Open presents while it cooks in the oven. I also love it for Easter morning too.
I like to buy the sandwich bread that is in the shape of a square to make this. It makes it easier. I also reserve the crust you cut of and save it to make dressing for a turkey. This recipe also is a great way to use up leftover ham. You make this in layers like lasagna. With this, it’s like the bread are your noodles.
Baked Oven Omelet
- 1 loaf of square shaped sandwich bread
- spreadable margarine from a tub
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- ½ pound or 2 cups diced ham
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- Trim crust off bread. Save crust for another use.
- Butter each side of the bread with the margarine.
- Placea layer bread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, just enough buttered slices to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Then layer 1 cup of the cheese, half the ham, and half the green onion.
- Place another layer of buttered bread slices.
- Top with 1 cup cheese, remaining ham, and remaining green onion.
- In a bowl, beat egg, milk, salt, paprika, and mustard together. Pour over layers in pan.
- Top with remaining cheese and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until knife comes out clean. Serves 9-12