Happy Better Breakfast Month! Did you know that September is Better Breakfast Month? Well today, I wanted to celebrate the month along with you and California Almonds.
California Almonds are challenging people to makeover their breakfasts for at least one week during Better Breakfast Month. Then simply visit almondboard.com/BetterBreakfast, submit a photo of one of your better breakfast made with almonds and let them know why it’s better for you. By entering, you could win a year’s supply of almonds. Winners will be posted daily on their Facebook page.
I also wanted to share better breakfast tips and recipes from nationally known registered dietitian Bonnie Taub-Dix.
- The ideal morning meal combines protein, complex carbs and good fats. Like the three legs of a stool, this trio supplies a nutritious breakfast guaranteed to keep you full until lunch. Try almond butter on 100% whole grain toast with berries, or Greek yogurt with a small handful of chopped almonds along with your favorite fruit! (I like to put almond butter on my toast followed by slice banana and a drizzle of honey!)
- Raise a glass to a refreshing way to start the day with this unique, really tasty smoothie: in a blender combine 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 3 ice cubes. Blend together and you’ll be off to a smooth start with the natural sweetness of the banana and sweet potato, both potassium powerhouses!
- Sauté a small amount of mushrooms, bell peppers and spinach while you’re making dinner and store in the fridge for your morning omelet. An omelet is a perfect carrier for the veggies most of us don’t get enough of each day. Pair with 100% whole grain toast to provide an energizing pick-me-up.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a second breakfast “sundae” treat. Swirl a tablespoon of almond butter and a teaspoon of sweetened cocoa into oatmeal; top with fresh fruit and some warm skim milk and you’ll have a breakfast that will surely keep you company till lunch.
- The most successful ‘losers’—when it comes to weight loss—eat breakfast daily, according to the National Weight Control Registry. Even a simple starter, like a slice of 100% whole grain toast with almond butter, can be a winning combo to help you lose weight and feel satisfied.
- Beat an egg along with a dash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Dip a slice of 100% whole grain toast bread into the egg mixture and cook on the stovetop in a nonstick pan. Top with sliced almonds, warm berries or sliced banana for an easy way to enjoy a hot, well-rounded breakfast.
- For some morning decadence, try this DIY Banana Almond Muffin – it’s so easy to bake and even easier to love! Swap in ingredients like dried cranberries, raisins and chocolate chips. Freeze half so that the grab-and-go-goodness can last all week long. Pair with cottage cheese for a mid-week breakfast or with an omelet for a weekend brunch.
- Boost your breakfast bowl of cereal or Greek yogurt by topping it with sliced almonds and chopped dried plums or apricots. The fiber will “move you,” and the protein and good fat will help keep your energy levels stable.
- Make your own breakfast burrito by rolling up a scrambled egg, shredded part skim cheese and salsa in a 100% whole grain tortilla. You can even add a little hot sauce to spice up the start to your day! (I love to make this microwave breakfast burrito)
California almonds would also like to offer a lucky RMK reader (US-located) complimentary Better Breakfast Starter Kit (total value of approximately $50) filled with:
- One $20 Visa gift card to buy anything else that makes your breakfast better – fresh fruit, oatmeal, almond milk, etc.
- One pound of whole natural almonds
- One jar of almond butter
- One pound of sliced almonds
- One reusable, insulated travel pouch for breakfasts on-the-go
- One double-sided recipe card for better breakfast inspiration
See the rafflecopter widget below to enter.
Disclosure: I also received a Better Breakfast Starter Kit and information for this post from California Almonds. However, my opinions are always my own.