I have a new favorite vegetable! I have had dishes with butternut squash in it before like a divine butternut squash ravioli but have never had it by itself. I recently noticed that Walmart carries a bag of it in their produce section (by the bagged salad mix) all cut up and ready to go. I decided to by a bag and try it out.
You can always buy a butternut squash and cut it up yourself for this recipe but the ready to go stuff was so convenient! I love to reduce my time needed to prepare weeknight dinners when I can.
So when I was deciding how to prepare the squash I immediately thought of roasting it in the oven. It is one of my favorite ways to prepare many vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, and potatoes. Oven roasting vegetables gives them concentrated flavor and their natural sugars caramelize! It really is the way to go if you aren’t a bug vegetable fan. I kept it simple with this butternut squash using just oil, salt, and pepper. However, a little rosemary would have been a great addition. So give it a try and roast some butternut squash.
- 4 cups of butternut squash cut into 1 inch cubes or a 12 oz bag of cut butternut squash (I get it at Walmart)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt (I like to use kosher or sea salt)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cut squash on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss with oil, salt and pepper coating each piece with the oil. Spread out into a single layer.
- Place in the oven, tossing about every 10 minutes, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serves 6.
Real Mom Kitchen original recipe.