Summer is here and even if you can’t get to the islands for your summer vacation, this dish will take you there. This spicy jerk pork is complimented perfectly with this fresh sweet pineapple salsa. The spice level was a bit much for my family so I have left you some room in the recipe to play with the level you like. Use 1 tbsp for mild spiciness and 3 Tbsp if you like it hot.
The meat needs to sit in the rub overnight before cooking so be sure to plan ahead. Let this meal take you to your own personal island retreat.
- 3 lb boneless pork roast, lean, all fat removed
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 – 3 Tbsp Jerk Seasoning (I used mild)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime, squeezed
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (I used ½ red pepper and ½ orange pepper)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Juice from ½ lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Pinch salt
- hot cooked rice for serving
- The night before, wIth a a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with 3 of the crushed garlic.
- Combine the remaining garlic, jerk seasoning, and salt, rub all over pork. Place in a gallon size and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, place the pork in the slow cooker with the lime and orange juice. Cook on LOW for 9 hours turning halfway through the cooking process.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred.
- Remove liquid from crock pot and reserve 1 cup. Add shredded pork back to the slow cooker with 1 cup reserved liquid back into the crock pot and taste for salt and pepper. Let it cook an additional 15 minutes.
- While it cooks, combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate salsa until ready to serve.
- Place pork of cooked rice and top with salsa. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.