My family loves Mexican food, but they also love bbq chicken. I recently decided to make a combination of the two and came up with these easy bbq chicken tacos. It is all that you would expect from a delicious bbq chicken sandwich, just placed on a tortilla instead of a bun.
The chicken is all cooked in the slow cooker and is coated with a luscious sauce that includes apricot preserves – sweet and spicy! We personally like to have some sort of slaw on our bbq sandwiches so I also gave the slaw a mexican flair by adding lime and cilantro.
This turned out great and makes a delicious summer meal. The use of the slow cooker is always good for summer!
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apricot preserves (I used Smucker's Costal Valley Peach Apricot Preserves)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Cilantro Slaw
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 (14 oz) bag cole slaw mix
- 16 heated corn tortillas
- Place chicken in a crock pot and top with onion slices.
- In a bowl, combine the apricot preserves, brown sugar, bbq sauce,
- vinegar,Worcestershire sauce, and ½ tsp red pepper flakes. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine water and cornstarch until blended. Pour cornstarch mixture into remaining juices in the slow cooker. Then mix in ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to crock pot and toss to coat in the thickened sauce.
- Prepare coleslaw - mix whipping cream, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and lime juice until smooth.
- Toss coleslaw mix and cilantro with the mixture until coated.
- Serve chicken on corn tortillas topped with the coleslaw. Serves 8.
BBQ chicken adapted from New South Food Company and Cilantro Slaw adapted from The Pioneer Woman.