From the time I married my husband, I found out that he does not like spaghetti. I made the recipe my mom makes for him and he would eat it (because it has bacon in it) but it still wasn’t a meal he would ask for. I recently decided to try this creamy skillet spaghetti recipe on him and see if after 19 years of marriage he would finally like spaghetti.
The recipe is made with both ground beef and italian sausage. It also includes 2 kinds of cheeses along with a little heavy cream. I figured you can’t loose if it has cheese and cream in it, right? Well, I hit a home run with this one. The whole family loved it.
Two things I have learned with making spaghetti for my husband is thin spaghetti is always better and you need to break the noodles in half before cooking them. He is definitely more likely to eat it if those 2 requirements are met. I did both on this recipe. A tomato/cream base sauce is always another good way to get him to like a dish.
This recipe will also work well for summer since it is made on the stove top and all in one pan. You do need to put it in the oven for a few minutes on broil just to melt the cheese. You can skip this, but it is a step that is well worth doing!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground italian sausage
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz. uncooked thin spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Sargento® Blends® Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Sargento® fine cut shredded mozzarella cheese
- In an oven safe skillet with a lid, (if you don’t have an oven safe skillet you can broil it in a 9 x 13 inch dish after cooking it in the skillet) melt you butter along with the olive oil. Add onions once the butter has melted and cook until just tender.
- Add the beef, sausage, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until sausage and beef is fully cooked. Drain of any excess grease.
- Then add the tomatoes, sugar, parsley, basil and oregano to the skillet. Stir to combine. Add the water and stir to combine.
- Add the uncooked spaghetti to the skillet. Gently mix it in so it is covered with the sauce mixture.
- Cover and bring to a low boil. Once boiling cook for about 10 minutes until tender stirring every few minutes to prevent the pasta sticking together or to the pan.
- Once noodles are cooked, mix in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese until cheese is melted. If your skillet is not oven safe, then transfer the mixture to a 9 x13 inch dish after the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of the mixture and place in the oven on broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted and slightly brown in places. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Kaitlin in the Kitchen.
This is a sponsored post.