My family LOVES pizza. We eat it once a week. Since we do eat it on a weekly basis, I am always looking for new ways to serve it up. I mean, even though we love it, we don’t like to eat the exact same pizza EVERY WEEK. These calzones are a perfect way to give your pizza night new life.
The dough for this comes together in no time and is ready to go right after you make it. The filling is also simple and you can change it as you would like. When I made the photo below I added some fresh basil to it because I had it on hand. You can do that or use some dried spices just to give the filling added flavor.
You can also use veggies in place of part or all of the meat. However, if you are using fresh veggies, like peppers, spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc. I recommend cooking them until tender before adding them to your calzone. Otherwise the water from the veggies could give you a soggy calzone. Plus since they are inside the calzone they don’t get long enough in the oven to get tender enough.
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp oil (I use canola or olive oil)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of cooked meat ( I used one 4 oz pkg of Hormel Pizza Toppings Italian Sausage Crumbles)
- fresh or died herbs to taste (I mixed in some fresh basil)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- marinara or pizza sauce to serve with
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the honey, oil, water, yeast, and garlic salt together. Then mix in the flour. Once mixed knead the dough for a minute or two.
- Divide dough into 6 easy pieces. Roll each ball out into and 8 inch circle using extra flour if needed.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, meat, and herbs.
- Take ½ cup of filling and place on half of each rolled out 8 inch round of dough.
- Fold other half of dough over each round and seal seams.
- Dust cookie sheet with corn meal and place calzones on cookie sheet.
- Brush tops of calzones with olive oil and sprinkle each with 1 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 475 for 10 to 12 minutes. until golden. Allow to set for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with marinara or pizza sauce for dipping. Serves 6.
Real Mom Kitchen original recipe.