If you are looking for a Valentine’s treat that is on the low calorie side, this could be just for you. A boxed angel food cake mix gets a Valentine’s twist with a new red velvet look and a simple whipped cheesecake frosting. The frosting gets it’s flavor from a box of instant pudding. I used regular but you could reduce the calories even more by using a sugar free pudding.
The cake it self turned out a little less red than I wanted after it cooked, so if you want a deeper color you may need a little more red food coloring.
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 box Angel Food cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1¼ cup cold water
- 2 tsp red food coloring (or more if you want a deeper red)
- 1½ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 (3.5 oz) package instant cheesecake pudding
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners (you need 24).
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder and Angel Food cake mix.
- Add water to mix and beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds and on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling them ½ way full. Once liners are filled, tap muffin pans on a hard surface 3-5 times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Allow cupcakes to cool completely in muffin pans.
- To make frosting: in a large bowl, whip together the milk, whipping cream, and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. (I did this in my kitchen aid)
- Then beat in the package of cheesecake pudding until combined and firm peaks form.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Makes 24.
Recipe inspired by Prevention RD.