This week is Red Velvet week as Valentine’s day will be here before you know it. I usually just do a Valentine week, but with red velvet being such a big trend lately, I decided to do an entire week of just red velvet treats. It is the perfect way to say I love you.
First up is an easy cookie recipe made using a red velvet cake mix. I use to have to search for a Duncan Hines cake mix, but this year I found that Betty Crocker now has a red velvet mix available in stores. These cookies are simple to make and are then topped with a traditional cream cheese frosting.
- 1 (15.25 oz) box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- 4 C sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine the cookie ingredients until well blended. You can do it by hand or with a mixer.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spoon or scoop dough onto sheet. (I used my cookie scoop) Bake at 350 degrees for 10- 12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- Prepare frosting.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time and blend until well combined and fluffy.
- Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from Mommy Hates Cooking.