The other day I had some leftover baked potatoes that I needed to do something with. So of course my first thought was Loaded Baked Potato Soup, creamy, yummy potato goodness. My mom has a great recipe that you make using only cream. I decided that day though that I wanted to find a recipe that was a little more budget friendly and that uses milk. I ended up adapting a recipe that I found at Baking Like Betty. However, I think the original recipe would have worked just fine. It would probably just depend upon if you want it really creamy or not.
Come back tomorrow, I’ll share the recipe for the 15 Minute Cream Biscuits I served with the soup.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 4 lg. baking potatoes (I had 8 small to medium leftover baked potatoes that I used)
- 2/3 C butter
- 2/3 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 C milk (I used 5 cups of skim milk and 1 cup cream)
- 1 C sour cream (I used reduced fat)
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry & cover with foil. Bake for 75 minutes at 350 or until tender; cool completely.(Or use leftover potatoes from another meal)
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large pot melt the butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Use a whisk to make sure any lumps from the flour are smoothed out.
- Gradually add milk a 2 cups at a time. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for a couple minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cubed potatoes. Heat until warm. Mix in sour cream.
- Garnish with bacon, cheese, and green onions. Yield 8 servings.