Today, I have a yummy recipe for you to use up that leftover turkey you may have next week. I do have one more quick flashback Friday recipe for you tomorrow for you Thanksgiving meal. So be sure to check that out. However, next week I have some more recipes to use up that leftover turkey which will include 2 variations on the traditional turkey sandwich along with a delicious dinner. I will also have a Thanksgiving leftover round up to finish off the week. I am so excited to share these recipes with you all. Then the following week we will begin the Christmas fun with a Christmas cookie week! It is gonna be so fun!
Now, today’s recipe is the perfect no fuss way to use up that leftover turkey to create a delicious meal. You let the slow cooker do all of the work for you. You can come home from black Friday shopping, place this in the slow cooker, and take a nap. Then when dinner time rolls around you are all set. You can even serve it up with any leftover rolls you may have! I was worried as to whether or not my family would like this recipe since it included wild rice. My family isn’t too “wild” about things that aren’t the usual – like white rice. However, surprisingly enough everyone loved this one. My husband even jumped to eat the leftover soup the next day for lunch.
If you don’t happen to have leftover turkey they just use chicken in its place. A rotisserie chicken would be a great substitute. You could even pick one up on Wednesday before thanksgiving so on Friday you will be already to make this soup. The other great thing about this soup recipe is it is 2 recipes in one. If you don’t want a creamy soup and would prefer a broth type soup, then just skip making the cream mixture. Just add the turkey or chicken at the end and heat until warm. The broth style is just as delicious as the creamy version.
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (4.3 oz) pkg. Rice-a-Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked and shredded turkey or chicken
- In a slow cooker, add the broth, water, rice mix along with seasonings from seasoning packet, carrots, and celery. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When soup is almost ready, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add the flour, salt, and pepper, to the butter and whisk together. Cook for a minute or two until the mixture begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the flour mixture until smooth and well combined. Stir the mixture into the soup in the slow cooker until well combined.
- Add the turkey or chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 5-10 more minutes until the turkey or chicken is heated through. Serves 8.
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell.