Today’s caramel apple recipe is different because the caramel itself has chocolate. It is a great alternative it you don’t want to do double duty of dipping apples in caramel and then dipping them in melted chocolate. The key ingredient that makes this possible is Riesen chewy chocolate covered caramels. This recipe is just like yesterdays, but you use the Riesens instead of the caramels. These apples get a nice coating of a deep chocolate covered coating perfect for Halloween. I love the shine that this coating has.
- 4-6 medium apples
- 4 wooden sticks
- 50 unwrapped Riesen chewy chocolate-covered caramels
- 2 Tbsp cream
- Follow tips from my Caramel Apples 101 post to prepare the apples. Place sticks in the prepared apples.
- Place Riesens and cream in a microwave save bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until caramel is melted and smooth. This should take no longer that 3 minutes. It only took 1½ minutes in my microwave.
- Hold apple by the stick over the bowl and spoon caramel over the apple. Allow the caramel to run down the apple and scrape bottom to remove excess caramel.
- If adding topping roll immediately in topping and place on parchment to cool.
Recipe adapted from Redbook Magazine.