The Hungry Jack Use Up the Box Recipe Contest is in full swing now through October 23, 2012! You can enter the Use Up The Box Recipe Contest by submitting your own original creations and will be eligible to win a year’s worth of free groceries!
I tried out one of their recipes and added my own twist. The recipe uses their convenient Easy Pack Chocolate Chip Pancake or Funfetti Pancake mix. It is a fun twist on regular waffles using the convenience of a mix. I topped mine with a bananas,whipped cream and a simple homemade caramel sauce. You could always use caramel ice cream topping to make it even easier. These waffles were delicious and would be great for a special treat. I especially think it would be a perfect birthday breakfast.
You could also make the waffle more savory by topping it diced cooked bacon and then drizzle them with a mixture of 1/4 cup syrup and 3/4 cup caramel sauce. Or you could use them for dessert, just top with scoop of ice cream along with the caramel sauce or dulce de leche.
Hungry Jack also has provided a “Get Happy with Hungry Jack” Pantry Pack for 1 RMK reader to get the party started in your own pantry! The “Get Happy with Hungry Jack” Pantry Packs will include the following products:
- Hungry Jack Syrup
- Hungry Jack Pancake Mix
- Hungry Jack Easy Pack Pancake Pouches (New Flavors)
- Hungry Jack Mashed Potatoes
- Hungry Jack Hashbrowns
- $75 Williams-Sonoma Gift Card
To enter, just leave a comment on this post telling me how you love to eat you pancakes. You have until Tuesday Oct. 23 at midnight (MST) to enter.
Contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., age 18 or older. Void outside the 50 United States and D.C. and where prohibited. Visit for complete Official Rules.
- For the syrup:
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the Waffles:
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ oil (I used canola)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (7 oz) pkg Hungry Jack Easy Pack Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix (which is what I used) or 1 (7 oz) pkg Hungry Jack Easy Pack Pillsbury Funfetti Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- sliced bananas and sweetened whipped cream for topping
- For the syrup: combine all of the syrup ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling and allow to boil for 30 seconds and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- For Waffles: Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In large bowl, whisk together water, oil, egg and vanilla .
- Then, stir in pancake mix, cocoa and sugar until evenly moistened. Allow to stand 1 minute.
- Pour batter in waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions and cook accordingly. I was able to get 5 waffles from my waffle maker.
- Serve waffles drizzled with syrup and topped with sliced bananas and sweetened whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Hungry Jack.
Disclosure: I also received a “Get Happy with Hungry Jack” Pantry Pack.