Maria over at Two Peas and Their Pod recently shared this yummy sandwich idea. I have been seeing these sandwich thins or buns in the store recently and wanted to give them a try. Maria’s post gave me the reason to pick some up and make her sandwich. I happen to pick up the Earth Grains whole wheat thin buns. They are only 100 calories with 4 grams of fiber. I just picked up a package of the Oroweat sandwich thins to try this week. I did notice that the Oroweat sandwich thins have 5 grams of fiber. They are both yummy, but if I had to pick between the two brands I would probably choose the Oroweat. It had a slightly better texture and I’d go for the higher grams of fiber.
I did try the thin buns with a little egg salad on them too and they were delish. I included my easy egg salad recipe for you as another option to use in the thin buns, but really anything you like on a sandwich would work.
So Maria’s sandwich also uses Laughing Cow Cheese. If you haven’t tried Laughing Cow Cheese, you must. It’s a soft spreadable swiss cheese, very similar to a cream cheese. They even sell a light version too. I usually find it in the refrigerated cheese section of the deli at my grocery store. I also used the thin buns for breakfast with the Laughing Cow Cheese spread on them then topped each half with 1 tsp of homemade raspberry jam. YUM!
Ok, so enough about the thin buns and cheese. I must say that Maria’s sandwich was delicious. All the flavors went so well together. I do think my pear was a little too ripe when I grilled it but it was still delish. You get a nice tang from the cheese along with some sweetness from the pear and grilled red onion. The rosemary just helps round out the flavors. Love it, give it a try, and guess what, IT”S GOOD FOR YOU!
The recipe also calls for agave nectar, I used the Xagave brand. They have decided to provide a giveaway to one on my readers. They will give one of you a bottle of Xagave along with a cookbook. To enter, go to this link and tell me which of the Xagave recipes you would want to try if you are the winner. You have until Sunday Feb 7 at 10 pm (MST) to enter. The winner will be notified by email on Monday. You can check out some more recipes I tried using Xagave along with info benefits of the Xagave brand HERE. These recipes are in the cookbook included in the giveaway. Xagave can be found in some Associated Food Stores and Kroger stores.
Pear and Cheese Sandwich with Red Onions and Rosemary
- 1 Bosc pear, sliced (I used an Anjou)
- Agave or Xagave nectar, to brush on pear slices, just a little bit
- Red onion slices
- 1 Sandwich Thin or bun
- 1 Light Laughing Cow cheese wedge (I used regular Laughing Cow Cheese)
- Spinach leaves (I used baby lettuces)
- Fresh Rosemary (I used dry rosemary)
1. Heat the grill pan. Brush the sliced pears lightly with agave nectar. I used a pastry brush to do this. A little goes a long way. Grill the pears and red onion slices on the hot pan. Turn the pears over once one side is done cooking. This won’t take long. (I used my George Foreman Grill)
2. Toast the Sandwich Thin. Spread each half with the Light Laughing Cow cheese. Add the spinach leaves.
3. When the pears and onions are done grilling-place them on the sandwich. Add a sprinkle of fresh rosemary. Eat and Enjoy!
Quick Egg Salad Sandwich ( I calculate this to be just under 200 calories if you only use 1/2 Tbsp canola mayo)
- 1 Sandwich thin or bun
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon canola mayonnaise
- dill weed
1. Dice up hard boiled egg and mix in canola mayonnaise along with a little salt, pepper and dill.
2. Toast sandwich bun or thin and fill with egg mixture. Enjoy!