One of my favorite flavors of salad to eat is those with an Asian flair. I have a yummy recipe that I love in my cookbook, if you have a copy. I decided to create this one based on another recipe that inspired me. I wanted to create one with crunchy wonton strips, tender chicken, sweet and juicy mandarin oranges, and a delicious sesame ginger dressing. It also has an added bonus ingredient of rotini pasta.
I have yet to find a good recipe for a sesame ginger dressing so I kept it simple by using a bottled dressing. The one I used comes from Walmart and is found in the produce section in the refrigerated area. I love the flavor of this dressing and it is “all natural” according to the bottle. It is worth getting it if you can, if not, just find another bottled brand. I know that even Kraft has an Asian version.
I also made my own wonton strips, but I have seen then available to purchase if you don’t want to make them. However, I strongly encourage you to make them if you can. They are DELICOUS! I must say that this is my new favorite salad!
- 15 small square wonton wrappers
- canola oil
- 2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cooked chicken breast, diced
- 6 green onion, diced
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
- sesame ginger dressing (I used Marketside Sesame Ginger Dressing from Walmart)
- seasame seeds, optional for garnish
- Cut wontons into ¼ inch strips. I do this with a pizza cutter.
- In a skillet, place enough oil to completely cove the bottom and heat over medium.
- Once oil is hot, add wonton strips in batches of about 8 strips at a time. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Cook rotini according to package and rinse with cold water.
- Toss lettuce with pasta and divide mixture between 6 plates.
- Top each plate evenly with the chicken, green onion, almond slices, and oranges.
- Drizzle each plated salad with dressing and top with wonton strips and sesame sees if desired. Makes 6 main dish salads.
Recipe inspired by Baking with Blondie.