I must say, one of my favorite things to put on a salad is croutons. I love the added crunch you get from them and it is so simple to make your own. It is an especially good way to use up leftover bread that has dried up. I do think they are best when they are made with artisan type bread. I also like to use garlic infused olive oil, but you can use plain olive oil or any other flavored olive oil you like. I get my oil from my local Harmon’s grocery store.
- 1 baguette loaf, cut into bit sized pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil (I use garlic infused) **see note
- kosher salt, to taste
- Place the diced baguette pieces on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the oil.
- Use you hands to toss the pieces in the oil and get them all well coated.
- Then sprinkle with desired about of salt. I use at least 1 tsp.
- Place in a 200 degree oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.