Today’s recipe is a coffee cake that begins with sugar cookie dough. Yes, you heard me right, a coffee cake that uses sugar cookie dough in the recipe. It happens to be one of the winning recipes from the recent Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest. I saw that this recipe began with sugar cookie dough and was intrigued on how that would work.
You make a yummy sugary peach layer to the bottom of the pan. It is then followed by the cakey layer. This is where the cookie dough comes in. It is used as a base with the addition of some eggs and baking powder to give it some lift along with some half-and-half for richness and to make the mixture a batter consistency. After baking, you invert the cake and top it with peach preserves and pecans.
I left the pecans out because my family isn’t fans of nuts. However, I then added some almond extract preserve mixture. I love the taste of peaches with almonds. The other reason, I can have that nutty flavor without adding nuts and my family has no problem with the extract. This recipe totally works and was completely consumed by my family of 5.
Check out my giveaway page today and find out how you could get a $25 gift card to try this recipe.
- 1 roll Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- ¼ cup LAND O LAKES® Unsalted or Salted Butter
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1½ cups thinly sliced peeled peaches or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ⅔ cup Smucker’s® Peach Preserves
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 10 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Line 10-inch springform pan with foil. Lightly spray bottom and side of foil-lined pan with non-stick spray.
- In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon until blended. Add sliced peaches; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until peaches are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon and spread peach mixture over bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Add baking powder and eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until well blended.
- On low speed, beat in half-and-half an additional minute or until cookie dough mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour mixture evenly over peaches in pan.
- Bake 35 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 2 minutes.
- Place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Carefully remove foil. Cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, stir peach preserves, orange juice, and almond extract together until blended. Microwave peach mixture on High 30 to 60 seconds or until warm.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.