Lately, I have been seeing so many fun recipes that are made by microwaving in a mug. I found my self pinning several ideas from Pinterest and thought, “Hey, why not do a whole week of these thing on my blog”. So here you have it – a weeks worth of posts that are “In A Mug”.
One thing that I have discovered about these mug recipes are the items do not turn out light and cakey, tend to be more on the dense and gooey side. You also do not want to over cook them because they will end up dry and chewy, so error on the side of under cooking. Since all microwaves are different, cooking time can very which does make it a little hard to figure out since you do not want to over cook. Start with the lowest time and cook in 5 second intervals. Also, you can always try the toothpick method to see if it looks done.
Now you can mix the cakes in the mugs, but the perfectionist in me won’t allow that. I mix it in a bowl, then add it to the mug, but either way works.
We are beginning “In a Mug” week with a coffee cake. This cake turns out gooey and topped with a yummy struesel. It is a fun way to begin a morning!
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- splash of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Struesel Topping:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl, add the butter and sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Next add the applesauce, vanilla, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of a mug.
- In another bowl, add the struesel ingredients and cut the butter in using a for until you just a nice lumpy mixture.
- Place the struesel on top of the batter in the mug.
- Cook in the microwave for 50 - 80 seconds. Begin with 50 and the do 5 second intervals until the top looks barely set.