We continue today with another lime recipe. This time I made cream puffs with green food coloring added to the pastry. Then I filled them with a with a creamy lime filling. You can always make these with out the green food coloring too. This is so light and refreshing. I am so ready for Spring.
I have a giveaway that I started today too, be sure to check it out and enter.
- Ingredients for pâte à choux:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- green food coloring
- Ingredients for filling:
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 12 oz. of cream cheese, softened
- 1⅛ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp. lime zest
- Additional powdered sugar for dusting
- In saucepan, combine butter, water and salt and bring to a boil. Add flour, stirring rigorously until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and cool for10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add mixture to a mixer, and beat eggs in one at a time until smooth. If you don’t have a mixer, mix with a wooden spoon.
- Then mix in the food coloring, I used about 12 drops.
- On a cookie sheet, drop batter by teaspoons about 4 inches apart. (I used my cookie scoop to drop the batter. I got 30 puffs)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. DO NOT open the oven to check until 25 minutes of bake time is over; the puffs will collapse if oven is opened too early. Cool on wire rack.
- To make the filling: beat heavy cream with a mixer until whipped, and set aside in a bowl in the refrigerator.
- Then start blending the cream cheese with powdered sugar, adding a little sugar at a time until combined. Add 1½ tsp. lemon zest.
- Fold in ⅓ of whipped cream by hand until well blended with cream cheese. This will help lighten the cream cheese making it easier to fold in the remaining whipped cream. Then fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Carefully cut the tops off the puffs and add a spoonful of cream cheese filling to each (I piped mine on).
- Dust with powdered sugar, serve and enjoy!
Inspired by Mrs. Fields Secrets.