Today I have a simple cheesy vegetable soup recipe for you. Unlike my other easy cheesy vegetable soup, this one does not use processed cheese. You just use regular shredded cheese for this one. It also comes together in about 45 minutes and is basically made in one pot. The vegetables are added in stages so they all turn out nice and tender. So simple, so easy, and so cheesy!
- 2 (10¾ oz) can of chicken broth
- 2 tsp or 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups milk (I used skim)
- ½ cup flour
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used medium
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, bouillon, and onion. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, and butter. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until tender – about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and flour together until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the vegetable mixture stirring constantly.
- Add shredded cheese and cayenne. Blend until cheese in melted. Serves 6.
Adapted from a Junior League cookbook, I believe it was this one I got it from.