Who doesn’t love a hot baked chocolate chip cookie with a big glass of milk? If life has been crazy and you want a quick sweet treat for your sweetie tonight, then you can whip up this simple one pan skillet cookie that gets dressed up with some vanilla ice cream (in place of the glass of milk) and an easy chocolate sauce.
Already have your Valentine menu planned? No worries, this skillet cookie is good to have any time. It is the perfect combination of chewy cookie and sweet chocolate. Since it is all made in the skillet, there is less mess to clean up! You can always forgo the chocolate sauce, but why do that? The size of the skillet you use will vary the thickness and cooking time. The skillet I used as 12 inches so it was a thinner cookie and cooked for less time. I may try to double the recipe next time and try to have a thicker cookie.
Have a Happy Valentine’s!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks or chips, frozen
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast iron skillet (at least 8 inches wide, mine was 12), melt ½ cup butter over medium-low heat.
- Add ½ cup sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, vanilla and blend. Then remove from heat.
- Let rest until pan is warm, but no longer very hot, at least 5 minutes.
- Add egg and stir until well combined.
- Next add the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined.
- Then carefully stir in the chocolate chips. They may melt slightly so be care so they can stay in chunks and not get too melty.
- Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes. This will all depend on how large a skillet you used for the cookie. With a larger skillet the cooking time will be less.
- While to cookie bakes, place the remaining ½ cup butter and cocoa in a large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until combined and smooth.
- Then add the 2 cups sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla.
- Boil for 5 to 8 minutes while stirring to thicken. Set aside.
- Slice cookie into 8 slices. Serve each slice warm topped with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of the chocolate sauce.
Recipe adapted from Sophistimom.